Manchester Metropolitan University is a British Public University located in North West England. Its headquarters and central campus are in the city of Manchester and there are additional facilities in the county of Cheshire. It is the fifth largest campus based University in the United Kingdom with over 36,000 students and was awarded University status in 1992 and is one of the most extensive education centres in Europe. With a history dating back 150 years, the University has a combination of the traditional and the contemporary that sets it apart and gives it a very distinct character.
As part of a comprehensive tender process in September 2015, Manchester Metropolitan University issued a Qualification and tender process to reseller members of the NEPA Government Framework. Vision submitted a fully compliant response for a fully Managed Printing Solution to Manchester Metropolitan. There was significant interest and response to the bid from some of the UK’s leading MPS providers.
The University’s Tender Requirements were:
• 400 Multifunctional devices of 30, 40 and 50 pages per minute across 13 campus wide locations
• Print Management Software for secure print release, student payment, cash kiosks and cost recovery
• Comprehensive cost management, allocation and reporting
• Fully inclusive, on-site service delivery and support
• Remote Management and automated consumables fulfilment and proactive service monitoring
• Waste collection and recycling to minimise the University’s waste and meet their environment management requirements
• Continuous improvement and delivery of new technology and innovations
Vision was initially short listed and presented its proposal and solution along with 3 final bidders. From final presentations and evaluations, Vision was subsequently selected and awarded the entire MPS contract across all campus sites.
Vision’s winning theme was the overall solution and innovation of technology. Vision’s Proposal and Solution to Manchester Metropolitan included:
• Comprehensive implementation plan, dedicated Project Management utilising Prince 2 methodology
• Detailed Proof of Concept and model Office testing prior to implementation and deployment
• Vision installed 381 Samsung Android based Multi-Function devices across all 13 campus sites over an eight week deployment
• Management and exit transition of existing Hewlett Packard fleet, approximately 400 devices
• Implementation of SafeCom Print Management for secure release via Access Cards, cash allocation for academic staff and students at dedicated kiosks
• Implementation of Vision’s Remote Fleet Management (VRFM) for proactive service delivery, alerts and automated consumables management
• Dedicated on-site Technical resources
• Dedicated Consumables on-site despatch, resources
• Bespoke, fully livered transportation across all University sites
• Central stores, stock of all consumables, managed and monitored by Vision’s Remote Fleet Management application VRFM and service desk resources
• Comprehensive Reporting and Management Information based on Service Levels, SLA’s
• Bespoke billing, invoice processing and volumetric reporting
• Waste management and collection for recycling of all consumables
• Dedicated Account Management via Vision’s Public Sector Team
James Woodward, part of the University’s IT Services Leadership team commented:
“Through our comprehensive tender process, Vision was selected primarily on technology innovation and their approach and can-do attitude and with the aim of making the University more academically competitive through effective use of technology, underpinned by first class service and support. Vision has done just that.
Woodward concluded: “We are now embracing and embarking on the implementation of further innovations with the use of Samsung technology and applications (apps), we are collaborating with the entire project team from Vision, Samsung and the University to design and bring to life apps that will help improve the student and academic experience.”
Leon Wragg, Head of Vision’s Public Sector team further commented:
“We were delighted to be given the opportunity to make a difference at Manchester Metropolitan University and we have now demonstrated the value we can add through implementation of Vision’s highly effective Managed Printing Solutions”.
Wragg continued: “We also remain very excited about the continued improvements we can deliver throughout the University partnership and this is also being demonstrated through proactive Account Management, combined with new technologies and innovations.”